Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Adventures in Mealworm Husbandry

I unintentionally started a mealworm farm. This is a video of some of the worms (Tenebrio molitor) I have already. I didn't realize I'd get so many from just a few darkling beetles. Wow! I'll be moving them into a bigger home this evening and making plans on just what kind of meal I'll be turning them into. I haven't intentionally eaten bugs before, I guess it's time to start!



Here's a link to some additional information on Tenebrio molitor:
http://insected.arizona.edu/mealinfo.htm

Welcoming any suggestions for future recipes!

2 comments:

  1. I also kept these in wheat flour with bakers yeast (1kg of flour with 50 gram yeast). Works great and much easier, they don't need to get water. It also works great for another flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum). At what temperature do you keep them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've been at room temperature, which this time of the year goes between 70-90 degrees F. I think the flour/yeast idea sounds great! I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete